- 1 whole large orange
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 2 cups Pillsbury All-Purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 2 eggs
- Orange-Nut Topping:
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Orange slices for garnish, optional
- Grind together orange, raisins, and ⅓ cup walnuts; set aside.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, and 1 cup sugar into bowl of electric mixer. Add shortening and ¾ cup of the milk. Beat for 2 minutes until well blended.
- Add eggs and remaining ¼ cup milk. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Fold orange mixture into batter. Pour into a well-greased and lightly floured 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until cake tests done by inserting toothpick into center that comes out clean.
- For topping: While cake is still warm, spoon ⅓ cup orange juice evenly over top of cake. Combine the 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ cup chopped walnuts and sprinkle evenly over cake. Let cake cool on wire rack.
Click here to view the recipe for “Orange Kiss-Me Cake” on the Pillbury site.
To read all about the Bake-Off go to http://www.bakeoff.com/
To read my blog about Bake-Off # 1 to go: http://www.theculinarycellar.com/first-pillsbury-bake-off-1949/
Bake-Off food photos are taken by my daughter, Kristina Vanni. Check out Kristina’s blog at: