A crumbly, buttery, and spicy crust in this bar cookie is topped with a ginger icing.
Ginger Crunch Cookies
Softened unsalted butter, and all purpose flour for baking pan
1-1/2 cups less 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, crumbled between fingers
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Sift together 1-1/2 cups less 2 Tablespoons flour, baking powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons of the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a bowl.
3. Beat the 1/2 cup butter in a mixer bowl for 1 minute. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar until well combined, about 1 minute. Stir dry ingredients, a small amount at a time, into butter mixture with a wooden spoon. When almost completely combined, transfer dough to a work surface and knead 2-3 times; mixture will be crumbly.
4. Pat dough evenly into prepared pan. Bake until top is light brown and edges pull away slightly from the sides of pan, about 20-25 minutes.
5. About 5 minutes before cookies finish baking, melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Gradually whisk in remaining 1 teaspoon ground ginger, the confectioner’s sugar, and corn syrup until smooth. Remove from heat; let cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove baking pan from oven to wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then spread with still-warm topping. Let cool 2-3 minutes, then cut into 24 equal pieces. Cool until topping is set, about 5 minutes. Remove cookies from pan; let cool completely on wire rack. Store airtight, between sheets of waxed paper. Makes 2 dozen cookies.