There is something about pork roast and October that go together. I love the aroma of the house when it’s roasting, and love having these wild rice croquettes to serve with it. They are also equally wonderful with a veal roast or turkey. Round out the meal with some roasted carrots and an apple dessert.
Wild Rice Croquettes with Sour Cream Caper Sauce
2 cups chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
2 cups finely chopped boiled ham (about 6-8 ounces)
1/2 cup grated brick or white cheddar cheese
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1 Tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Caper Sauce – recipe follows
Dry bread crumbs
Vegetable or canola oil
1. Heat stock in medium saucepan to boiling; stir in rice. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Drain; let cool.
2. Combine rice, ham, cheese, egg yolks, whole egg, onion, parsley, garlic, dill, and pepper in large bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate, covered, until very cold, at least 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, make caper sauce and refrigerate.
4. Shape rice mixture, about 1-1/2 Tablespoons at a time, into firm-packed small ovals. Coat with bread crumbs. Refrigerate in single layer for 20 minutes.
5. Heat 3 inches of oil in medium saucepan to 375 degrees. Fry croquettes three at a time, turning once, until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper toweling. Serve with caper sauce. Makes about 2 dozen.
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons chopped capers
pinch freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes before serving.