Do you have a large crowd to cook for at a family gathering or event this summer? This recipe for Chicken Kiev could be a possibility. Chicken Kiev has a vein of golden butter inside tender crisp-coated chicken breasts. It can even be prepared and frozen a week ahead of time, then thawed and reheated.
CHICKEN KIEV FOR THIRTY
1 pound, 14 ounces cold unsalted butter
30 fresh chicken breast halves (1/2 pound each), skinned and boned
Freshly ground black pepper
9 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
All Purpose flour
6 cups dry bread crumbs
1. Cut butter into thirty 3-by-1/2-by-1/2-inch sticks. Round edges with fingertips. Freeze tightly covered in a single layer.
2. Remove fillet from one breast; remove tendon from fillet. Place breast and fillet without touching between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound 1/16-inch thick. Refrigerate between plastic. Repeat with remaining breasts.
3. Sprinkle top of one breast with salt and black pepper. Center 1 piece frozen butter on breast; place fillet lengthwise over butter. Fold one long side of breast over fillet; fold two short sides toward center. Brush remaining long side lightly with some of the beaten eggs; fold over fillet to enclose butter. Refrigerate covered. Repeat with remaining breasts and butter. (always keep butter frozen until ready to use)
4. Mix remaining beaten eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, and nutmeg in medium bowl. Place flour in one pan and bread crumbs in another pan. Place wire rack over large baking pan. Working with five breasts at a time, coat each with flour; dip into egg mixture, then coat in bread crumbs; place on wire rack. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
5. Heat 3 inches of oil in heavy 10-inch Dutch oven or large electric skillet to 365 degrees. Fry breasts, 4 or 5 at a time, turning once, just until golden, 3-4 minutes. (Do not brown). Drain on paper toweling. Keep warm. Makes 30 servings.
Chicken Kiev can be made up to 10 days in advance. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Freeze covered in a single layer; then pack in airtight freezer containers. To serve, thaw on wire racks over baking pans in refrigerators overnight. Bake at 375 degrees until hot, about 6 minutes.
yum, I love chicken kiev! This recipe looks delicious!
Easy and delicious!