You can’t miss with serving a chocolate cake for a party, so how about making it a little more festive with the addition of some rum!
One-Layer Chocolate Fudge Rum Cake
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup boiling water
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into 6 pieces
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon dark rum
Chocolate Rum Glaze: recipe follows
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Line bottom with a circle of parchment paper or waxed paper, then butter the paper.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a food processor; process for 5 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and reserve. Combine chocolate, sugar, and cocoa powder in food processor; process 1 minute. With motor running, add boiling water. Add 3/4 cup butter; process 1 minute. Add eggs; process 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add sour cream and rum; process 5 seconds. Add reserved flour mixture; process using 4-5 on/off motions, only until batter is smooth. Do not overprocess or batter will be too thin.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in middle of oven until a wooden pick inserted in the center is withdrawn clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan, about 45 to 50 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make chocolate-rum glaze.
5. Remove cake from oven; cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove sides of pan; invert cake onto serving plate. Lift off bottom of pan; remove parchment paper. Pour cooled chocolate glaze over cake; spread evenly over sides and bottom, using a thin flexible metal spatula. Let cake set and serve. Serves 10-12.
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1/4 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon dark rum
Combine chocolate, sugar, butter, water, and salt in top of double boiler. Heat, stirring constantly, over simmering water until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat; stir in rum. Refrigerate glaze, covered, until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.