My friend Roxanne gave me this wonderful recipe years ago. It’s the perfect dessert for the cold months ahead with its array of spices and delectable cinnamon frosting. It makes the kitchen smell like the holidays!
ROXANNE’S OLD-FASHIONED SPICE CAKE WITH CINNAMON FROSTING
2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices into bowl; set aside.
3. Place shortening an brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Blend until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Stir in flour, alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in vanilla.
5. Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched, or when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Place cake pans on wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes, then turn out of pans and cool completely on racks.
7. Prepare frosting and spread between layers and over cake.
1 box (16 ounces) powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg white
Dash of salt
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Sift powdered sugar and cinnamon into a bowl.
2. Remove 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture and place in a mixer bowl along with the melted butter. Beat until blended. Beat in egg white and salt.
3. Add remaining sugar mixture to bowl, along with the milk and vanilla. Beat at high speed until it is of spreading consistency.