My daughter Kristina suggested that I put up a top ten list of my favorite cookbooks reviewed this year. I thought it would be easy. It’s not. I have a list of fifty at the moment, which was hard – but a top ten?! I actually don’t know if I can do it. I like cookbooks way too much to narrow them down, but I will give it a try and include the links so you can go back and read them. These are not in any particular order, because that would be even harder to do.
1) The Breads of France by Bernard Clayton, Jr. If you read my blog regularly, you know how much I loved this man and his recipes. I have written about his other books, too. Bernard died earlier this year, so I have also included the link of my tribute to this great cook.
2) Judith Olney on Breads I love all Judith Olney books.
3) Mama Agata This was sent to me to review. Thank you, Barbara Maldonado- I may never have seen it otherwise! Great recipes, photos, and history.
4) Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda J. Amendt. I love to preserve foods all year round. One of my favorites to use.
5) The Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson Dodge. You will want to bake more than just the weekends!
6) Cold Weather Cooking by Sarah Leah Chase. How can a Midwest girl like me not crave cold weather foods?! Love this book.
7) Life, on the Line by Grant Achatz. This is not a cookbook, but a definite read for anyone interested in the food world. The chef has a heart-breaking and inspiring story that you will not soon forget.
8) Burger Bar by Hubert Keller. Gourmet burgers at their best.
9) Sphere Magazines. Again, not a cookbook, but each issue is like a cookbook in itself. I first wrote about my obsession with this now defunct magazine last year, and again this year. I have almost all of the issues now, thanks to my wonderful readers.
10) Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbooks. Another obsession of mine. The books I am referring to are the contest books starting in 1949 to the present. I am writing about every book and the winning recipes. Start with this latest blog and the links at the bottom will take you to all the previous ones. The blogs post every Wednesday and will continue until next March, right before the next Bake-Off is scheduled.
Like I said, there are so many more that I love. Do you have any favorites from this past year? I would love to hear!