Here is a fun and delicious bread to try this weekend – and there is no kneading required. It smells heavenly while baking!
BACON CHEESE BREAD
1/2 cup milk
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup, undiluted
1/4 cup butter
3-1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
1 package active dry yeast (not quick yeast)
1-1/4 teaspoons table salt
1 large egg
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Melted butter, for brushing on bread
Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Stir milk into soup gradually in saucepan. Add butter and heat over low heat until warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees).
2. Combine 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add soup mixture, and beat on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
3. By hand, stir in 1 cup flour and crumbled bacon to make a firm, but still sticky dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
4. Grease a 2- quart casserole. Shape dough into a ball with well-greased hands. Place in prepared casserole and cover with a tea towel. Let rise in a warm place free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from casserole immediately. Brush top of bread with a little melted butter and sprinkle with some sea salt. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.