When I think of Spring cooking and baking, I always think strawberries, asparagus, chives popping up in the garden, rhubarb, peas, and more. But today to celebrate Spring it’s going to be a creamy strawberry pie made with puréed fresh strawberries in the filling.
Top with whipped cream on the edges and sliced strawberries.
The plate looks exactly like the pie. I didn’t even do that on purpose!
The pie has to chill at least 4 hours before serving or it can even be made a day ahead.
Don’t you love the happy colors of Spring?
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin (from a small box of Knox gelatin)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup puréed fresh strawberries
- Few drops of red food coloring
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Extra whipped cream and sliced strawberries, for garnish
- Mix sugar, gelatin, and milk in the top of a double boiler and heat over simmering water until steaming hot. Mix a little hot milk mixture into yolks and return to pan. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and mix in lemon juice, puréed strawberries, and food coloring. Transfer mixture to a medium mixing bowl and place in refrigerator. Chill until the mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully or it will set.
- Whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar until firm peaks form, then fold into the strawberry mixture. Spoon into the baked pie shell and chill at least 4 hours, or it can even be made a day ahead.
- To serve, whip enough heavy cream to be able to pipe around the edges of the pie. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries. Serves 6-8.