I love scones for breakfast! These delicious multigrain blueberry scones from the Weight Watcher’s cookbook, Power Foods, is sure to become a favorite.
I would rather have a scone than a doughnut with a nice steaming cup of coffee any day. These scones are not only multigrain but are lower in fat and sugar than many scones. Any kind of berry is good in a scone along with a citrus zest. Blueberry-lemon is wonderful, or try cranberry-orange.
The scone is tender with a crunchy sugary top and edges. It has so much more character than a doughnut, don’t you think? And of course better for you, which is always an added plus.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 Tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; spray paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, oats, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together ¼ cup of the sugar and butter in another medium bowl until well mixed. Add egg, buttermilk, and lemon zest to sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir just until combined. Add remaining flour mixture and blueberries and stir just until moistened.
- Spoon dough into center of parchment-lined pan. With well-floured hands, pat dough into a 7-inch round. Spray a long, thin knife with nonstick spray. Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through the dough. Sprinkle scones with remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 20-22 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and to serve. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Per serving: 1 scone: 256 calories; 13 g fat, 35 mg cholesterol; 275 mg sodium; 31 g carb; 9 g sugar; 2 g fiber; 5 g protein; 55 mg calc; 7 points on Weight Watchers