Gelatin salads are very popular at holidays. I have been making this beautiful ribbon version since my girls were little. It looks like Christmas and best of all, tastes really good; not just any jello salad!
The green layer is lime; second layer is cream cheese, melted marshmallows, pineapple juice, and lemon gelatin. Third layer is a combo of cherry and raspberry (or cranberry) gelatin. The secret is to make it early so each layer has time to set completely in between.
The salad goes well and looks beautiful with anything – ham, roasts, turkey, you name it. I make it two days ahead of time so it’s done and out-of-the-way. Only problem is keeping everyone away from it!
- First Layer:
- Two 3-ounce packages lime gelatin
- 2-1/2 cups hot (not boiling) water (very hot tap water works great)
- Second Layer:
- One 8-ounce package block-style cream cheese, softened
- One 3-ounce package lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups hot (not boiling) water
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- Third Layer:
- One 3-ounce package cherry gelatin
- One 3-ounce package red raspberry (or cranberry) gelatin
- 2-1/2 cups hot (not boiling) water
- For First Layer:
- Place the 2 packages of lime gelatin in the hot water, stirring well to dissolve. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch pan and let stand in the refrigerator until completely firm.
- For Second Layer:
- In bowl of electric mixer with whisk attachment, whip the cream cheese until light and fluffy, scraping bowl often; set aside. Dissolve the lemon gelatin in the hot water and set aside.
- In a saucepan, place the mini marshmallows and pineapple juice over medium heat and stir constantly until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth. Pour the hot marshmallow mixture and lemon gelatin mixture into the whipped cream cheese in mixer and blend together until very smooth, scraping bowl and beater often. Set aside and let cool completely (about 30 minutes) then carefully pour over refrigerated and set lime layer, using a slow back and forth motion while pouring and not pouring into one spot. Refrigerate until completely set before adding next layer.
- For Third Layer:
- Combine cherry and raspberry gelatins in the hot water and stir to dissolve. Let cool completely (about 25 to 30 minutes) before carefully and slowly pouring over cream cheese layer, using the same back and forth pouring and not pouring into one spot. Refrigerate until completely set. Cut into desired size squares to serve, usually 2 to 3 inch squares.
- Salad can be made a day or two ahead of time.