When my husband Bill is out of town and I’m just cooking for me, I always like to make something that he does not care for. A couple items that are not on his list of favorites include bell peppers and feta cheese. This salad is one of the recipes I love to make and never tire of it. It’s a Greek salad that includes farro, garlic, red bell peppers, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and arugula.
As you can see it is colorful, healthy, and very satisfying. I make the salad, put it in a pretty bowl, and plop in front of the TV and find a show I can binge watch or a movie Bill is not into which usually means “Big Little Lies” on HBO (I’m almost caught up) or the sappy Hallmark Christmas movies, which start next week.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup baby arugula
- ½ cup cooked unpearled farro
- ⅓ cup rinsed and drained canned chickpeas
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (plain or Mediterranean flavored)
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, and oregano in a bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Serves 1.