My husband is fond of coffee cakes, sweet rolls, or anything on the sweet side for the weekends. I found this easy Pineapple Coconut Coffee Cake recipe yesterday in the pile of vintage recipe clippings I bought last month at Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks. I have a feeling I will be making many items from those recipes over time. There are so many, I should just draw one from a hat each week!
This one turned out to be a good choice. The coffee cake goes together in minutes and is very moist and wonderful. It uses a can of crushed pineapple with the juice in the cake. The topping is a streusel of coconut, brown sugar, butter, and flour.
It can be served warm or at room temperature. Serve alongside a bowl of fresh fruit and some hot coffee or cup of tea. Guaranteed to make you smile!
- Coffee Cake:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in its own juice, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Coconut Topping:
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- For Coffee Cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat together egg, white sugar, melted butter, and undrained pineapple until well blended.
- Add 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well blended. Scrape into prepared baking pan and smooth evenly; set aside.
- For Topping:
- Place coconut, brown sugar, and 2 Tablespoons flour in small mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Add the 2 Tablespoons butter and using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix gently together to incorporate butter until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over coffee cake batter in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean in the center. Remove to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or room temperature. Cut into desired size squares to serve.