Bake and slice cookies are so easy and good. Here is a spiced version with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. They just taste like Christmas!
After the dough is formed into logs, it is flattened out with the back of fork to make a design that bakes into the dough and gives them a beautiful look. The logs are baked and sliced while warm.
The cookies are nice and crispy and the flavor is heavenly! These quickly became a favorite at our house.
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In large bowl of electric mixer, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add butter and mix until well blended. Add flour and mix well until a firm dough forms. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll each part into a log about 13-14 inches long and place on 2 each on baking sheets, leaving at least 3 inches apart.
- Flatten out slightly, then using a fork, lightly press into dough making a pattern going along the dough, making the dough about ¼ inch thick.
- Bake the logs for about 13-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a minute, then while still warm, cut into equally sized diagonal slices. Remove slices to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container or freeze. Makes about 40 cookies