My daughter Kara’s generous and beautiful mother-in-law from Mississippi sent us this huge box of pecans for Christmas. Kara also gave me three wonderful Southern cookbooks, so I am in Southern cooking heaven at the moment! First up was one of my favorite nut mixes with pecans as the featured nut, along with some walnuts and macadamia nuts. They are briefly heated in a little butter with rosemary, salt, and red pepper flakes, then baked until crispy.
The mix makes a perfect low carb snack anytime or it would be great for a game day party like the Super Bowl coming up early next month. They are so easy to make and will be gobbled up in no time. The mix is also a very nice hostess gift. They smell really good while baking and will keep well in an airtight container although they usually don’t last long!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (1/2 teaspoon if you like spicy!)
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and stir. Add seasonings and stir again for 1-2 minutes or until nuts are well-coated.
- Transfer nut mixture to an ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Spread into a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once about halfway through baking time.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in baking sheet on a wire rack before serving. Keep stored in an airtight container. Makes 16 (1/4 cup) servings. Each serving contains 216 calories and 4 grams of carbs.